About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 21 June 2014

Race Report: Abersoch Sprint Triathlon 15/06/2014

Abersoch is a small picturesque village on the end of the Llyn Peninsula, North Wales. Located on the beautiful beaches of Cardigan Bay, with the Snowdonia mountains in the foreground, it offers an unparalleled setting for a triathlon. 
Tony at the Abersoch sprint triathlon


The inaugural Abersoch Triathlon took place on Saturday 14th June. 130 competitors lined up on the beach for the start of a 750m swim, 20k bike ride and 5k run. This course wasn't going to be easy that was for sure, steep hills surrounding the village,  meant we were in for a tough bike ride and run and swim as I was about to find out!

After a short pre race breifing, we were counted down to the off, before legging it into the sea. The swim course required us to go round a series of cylindrical marks, before heading back to the beach. I found the swimming tough, my pool base training was inadequate, and swimming in open water is s different kettle of fish, excuse the pun. Also other factors didn't help, my wetsuit was a size to large and I made a good impression of Michelin Man, which didn't do much for my speed, lastly a strong tide added to the drama and making headway, was slow work.Needless to say I soon found myself at nearer the back than the front.


We left the sea, headed to the transition area and made a quick change into our cycling gear before heading onto the roads. A 20km bike ride took us up into the hills, for some steep climbs and descents, and down narrow windy lanes before returning to the transition area.  Again I found the bike ride hard, and just managed to hold my own.


The run took us out to the head land, at the far end of the beach,  sure enough several steep hills were involved. I was able to salvage a bit of pride,  and overtook about 10 runners before crossing the finishing line on the beach.


My splits were, 23 minute swim, 53 minute bike ride, and 22 minute run, coming 45th out of 101 finishers. To say it was hard was an understatement. Doing triathlons are a learning curve, and as much as I found it 
painful, I'm left wanting more, which I'm sure I will do.

This was a great event, well organised in beautiful surroundings but I would probably choose one in flatter surroundings before attempting it again.


For more information visit the Abersoch sprint triathlon website.


Tony T