About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Race Report: Potter's 'Arf 09/06/2013

The 'Potters Arf' wasn't on my list of runs to do, not sure why, but it just didn't appeal. However
when one or two other Striders said they were doing it, then I thought "why not?", besides it's on
our doorstep and I'm glad I did!

Sunday morning arrived and I first picked up Heather from the cricket club followed by Tom,

where we made our way to the 'Potteries shopping centre', for the start of the race. On arriving
there was a certain amount of cloud cover, which I optimistically thought would keep the sun at
bay. 10 minutes later these hopes were dashed by a bright blue sky and the full force of 
the sun. It was going to be a hot one! Before the start I met up with a two other Striders, Matt
Simister and somebody I've not before (sorry! - Dave Parr). We also met the official photographer, our illustrious chairman 'Mik', who took the obligatory team photo.

At 10.30 prompt we started the race, (approximately 1500 of us), firstly doing a short lap of the city centre, with big crowds before heading out on a long circular course. 

One of my reservations to this race, was that it is renowned for being hilly, and after several small hills, mile 4 to 5, presented us with a real monster! a long 3/4 mile straight drag up hill, it hurt! Fortunately things levelled off here, and for the next 6 miles were pretty flat, with just the odd small hill, and it was during this period I settled into a steady pace and felt more comfortable. 

The main reason I enjoyed this race were the crowds, virtually along the whole course were people clapping, cheering and giving words of encouragement. Not only did they do that but I have never been offered so many Jelly Babies in my whole life! Along with orange slices, home made water stations as well as the very welcome hose water sprayers. The Stoke crowds, did themselves proud!

The race had a final 'sting in the tail' where at mile 11 there were 2 nasty hills, the latter a real stinker. I don't think I could have lived with myself if i'd stopped and walked, so I battled to the top before the last mile home. The final home straight had huge crowds cheering us to the finish where I managed to finish in 1 hour 35 minutes; followed by Matt in 1 hour 41 minutes; Heather in 1 hour 46 minutes and Tom I think in 1 hour 55 minutes.

It had been a very well run race, a tough one, but the Stoke crowds made it all the more easier.

Would I do it again? Definitely, but I'll do a few flatter ones first.

For more information visit the website.

Tony Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment