About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Race Report: Stone St. Michaels 10k 23/06/2013

Today I ran the Stone 10k.  This race is a two lap course , very flat  so I had set myself a task of beating last years  time of 54.11.  


For the past 4 years this race has been a good one for me, not because the sun is always out and I have
had to wear suntan cream and sunglasses but because I have improved my times.  However, today was a disaster.  I got on the M6 only to find out that there was an accident at Junction 15 but got through that. I got to Stone and went the wrong way and ended up going round the roundabout twice before I followed another car to the start. Got there with 30 minutes to spare, the bag drop queue was massive so took 20 minutes in that standing out in the pouring rain. Finally with about a 5 minute warm up I was on the start line. The gun went off and I realised I was at the front of the start line. So many people passed me by!!
I was hoping that I would have done a great race, but alas due to a fall in Waitrose on Saturday when I slipped on some clear liquid and hit the floor with an almighty clatter my deep tissues injuries had an impact on my running.  At 4 miles pain kicked in and I just hobbled in . just glad to have finished the race.  After the race I headed for home wishing I had just stayed in bed with an ice pack.  Granny Liz was babysitting  Erin and Lily who were staying overnight. They gave Granny a big cuddle and said “ooh Granny you’ll do better next time” (bless).  Jammies on at 5pm, built a den and ended up having our  pizza and ice cream there.
However, if you do want a good flat 10K then Stone is one to do.  You only get a medal  but this year they ran out of bananas.
My time was 59.45. Worse time ever for 10K. Nurisng a sore shoulder, elbow, wrist left ankle injury and bruised rib cage
For more information visit the  Stone 10k website.

Liz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment