About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Race Report: Warrington 10k 20/06/2013

There are days when you'd wish you'd thrown your rule book out the window, this was one of those days.

After posting respectable times at Congleton Park Run, and gaining successive PB's, I
wanted to try and better my current 10k PB, and get under the 40 minute mark, and so after a little investigation, I opted for the Warrington 10k, which is a flat parkland course, and an ideal race for a PB.

Woolston park was the venue on a Thursday evening for this race, and after a quick briefing, 400 runners set  of on there way. The first kilometre was a bit of a barging contest, with the runners fighting for space on the narrow paths. After 2km, we headed out on the road for a while before re entering the park. The course was essentially lots of loops of the park, a bit like our own  Congleton park run, minus the lake. I managed to maintain a reasonable pace throughout the race and was glad to see the 9km marker. 
  
As a rule of thumb, I never look at my watch, and just run as fast as I can, and if possible put a sprint to the finish. Looking at my  watch just gives me unneccasary pressure . On this occasion, I wish I'd broken the habit of a lifetime and looked at my watch. I crossed the line,  and glanced at my watch, to see 40 minutes and 3 seconds, so near yet so far! Delighted with the time, but gutted I hadn't broken 40 minute mark, which i'm sure I could have eaked out me, had I known I was so close.

Overall, I throughly enjoyed this race, it was easy to get too (just down the M6), and was good course to try and improve your 10K PB. I would recommend this race to others wanting a challenge.

For more information visit the website.

Tony Taylor

NB: I couldn't find any photos of Tony at Warrington so instead the photo is of Tony at the Potters 'Arf a few weeks ago, just in case the sharp-eyed amongst you spotted the road sign and though he'd drifted badly off-course!

No comments:

Post a Comment