About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 30 May 2013

Race Report: Buxton Half Marathon 26/05/2013

Rest? What's one of them?

Ok, so after last weeks marathon exploits I had decided to have a bash at the Buxton half marathon. 
This was to be my 8th race in as many weeks. This had included 2 ultras 2 marathons and 2 half marathons...

I had tried hard to get another Strider to run with me. Answers ranged from not a chance to my wife says I have to go to the zoo with the kids!!!

Why would no one run it? Was I missing something?

Anyhow, at least I managed to bag a lift off the race photographer for this race, Mik was once again helping out the fantastic Bryan Dale take photos and had opted to drive.


Mik had agreed to pick me up at 08-00 which obviously up north translated to 8-15 am. We were soon at the event and I had managed to bag an entry on the day for £11. I had studied the race profile for this race and obviously it was hilly, not a little but very. Also the weather had taken a turn for the worst, which basically meant "boy it's hot" this would mean a tough run ahead.

So following some pre-race chats I arrived at the start in a field of over 250. Many club runners all looking very fit and no running bananas or Queen Victorias in this race. The race had a low key start, a sort of 3-2-1 go whispered and off we went.

The first 3 miles are uphill, completely uphill in fact very uphill!!!! By mile 1 there was already some walkers puffing and panting but I managed to drag myself up to the top of the hill. Soon after we got off the main road and began an undulating run through some stunning scenery. This was poster picturesque at its best. During this stretch we ran through several marshall points particularly at cattle grids. Sadly the marshals didn't seem to have much enthusiasm for the race along this stretch with very little encouragement offered.


At mile 7-8 a long long drag uphill began, I followed another gent up the hill having a chat with him about other races we had done and before we knew it the hill was conquered. This began a nice long downhill section before reaching the final water station. This was a welcome place to be with the weather being so warm and with a nice bit if encouragement from the people at the water station I was off again on the final few miles.

At mile 11 I saw the event photographer Bryan Dale with his camera and gave him a wave and a smile. At this point on the course I was just at the beginning of the town of Buxton again. This part of the course was kind of weird, with a run through some streets that evidently seem to of been put there for making up the required distance. With a few left and right turns I then ran in to the beautiful Buxton Gardens whereby Mik was there with one of Bryan's cameras taking shots of people crossing the line. It's a shame that no one in the park seemed to have an idea of what was going or that a race was happening but we're not all runners. I crossed the line in 2hr9mins which is way off a PB but a very tricky course with lots of hills in warm weather after several recent marathons, I was quite pleased.

So in essence and marking this race in Runners World terms, what did i think?



Well, I have ran loads of Half marathons, some good some bad. I have ran the Mul of Kintyre half which is rated as the UK number 1 half marathon the Cross Bay Challenge etc etc. With this run, I found myself slightly disappointed, not because it was bad but because it could be so so much better. I think it was a little too clubby with a lack of motivated supporters (not all, a few were great) and would have benefited better from some better exposure. After all, this is a challenging half marathon set amongst some of the best scenery in Britain in a beautiful town.

In my mind it would of benefited from a much larger field, some cheery people,a PA system at the beginning and finish, some chip timing and a medal as opposed to a non technical t shirt.
However, the plus side is of course that its cheap, very cheap at a tenner and not everyone wants to get overtaken by a giant banana or pantomime horse when struggling up a large hill.

Would I do it again? Yes I would, because of the price, challenge and best scenery in Britain.

 For more information visit the Buxton Half Marathon website.

Paul N.

No comments:

Post a Comment