About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Race Report: Uttoxeter Half Marathon 05/05/2013

Today I was picked up at 8.30am by Janet Evans from South Cheshire Harriers and we picked up Sue Davis on route. The weather was good, clear skies but a bit windy. It was cool  and was ideal for running. My hubby had warned me “don’t expect a good time” the course is tough.  Flaming Norah! He was not kidding.

When we got to the race course I spotted Paul Nicholls and together we had a game plan that he was going to push me round to get me a 2 hour finish.  Paul was using the race as a warm up for his 33 mile run next week. After a warm up with the girls, we got to the start line. Sue was just in front so we decided to stay with her and make sure she didn’t get out of our sight.  As Sue either came in front of me or just behind me. Paul told me we had to do 9.20 miles to get 2 hours. The first two miles was all up hill. As we got to the first mile Paul told me we were 9.21 but not to worry as we would claw it back on the down hills. I concentrated on my breathing whilst Paul was telling me it was lovely and scenic.  Just then my old mate “G man”  came along side us.

At the 4 mile mark Paul said “Liz just go on I have a bad calf”.  So with Paul’s splits ringing in my ears I focused on the people on front.  I felt good and passed quite a few folk right up to 6 miles, including “G man”. The course was undulating and no sooner had you got a down hill there was an uphill. I felt that you didn’t get that much recovery time. I had been warned that there was a hill at 11 miles that went on a bit but there was also one at just before the 8 mile marker.   At this point I got talking to Sharon (Tamworth Running Club) who was a senior lady (young kid really) and said she did 2.10 last year and wanted to get under that this year.  We ran together for a bit then she sped off. 

At 10 miles I met Jo from Stafford Harriers who said she wanted under 2.10 and as I was feeling the hills in my legs there was no way on this earth I’d get 2 hours.  So I changed my game plan and said I’d try for 2.10. For the next 3 miles we played a bit of cat and mouse and on the last mile we were together encouraging each other on to the finish line. My legs had gone so Jo sprinted in at 2.09.26 and I followed her in at 2.09.33. I have never been so glad to finish a race. It was a tough one and I am unsure if I will repeat it next year!!!!  Special thanks goes to Paul who was brilliant at keeping me to the pace and encouraging me throughout the race. Thanks mate.  Mic took the photos at the 3 mile mark and again at the finish, hopefully he got my good side.  The nice thing is that we have a Bank Holiday so I’ll be able to have a drink and a rest tonight.

For more information visit the Uttoxeter Road Runners Website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment