About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 3 May 2013

Race Report: Wrexham 10m 27/04/2013

Today myself and Dennis set off at 12.15 from  Sandbach to Wrexham to do the 10 mile race.  Dennis’s sat nav decided to take us on a magical mystery tour and I saw some areas of Nantwich that I had never seen before. Soon we saw the sign for Wrexham so we knew it was taking us in the right direction. ! 


An hour later we arrived at the club house on the Wrexham Industrial Estate.  The weather was a bit overcast with a slight drizzle and a bit of a wind so I decided it was long sleeves today.  Just as we were crossing the car park a man had stopped to talk to a fellow runner who had asked him what the course was like, he was concerned that there would be hills in it and the man  answered him that if  he wanted hills he  had  to go in that direction and swung his arm out, just then his hand connected with my face. Wow did I have a fat lip.  He grabbed me and was so apologetic I thought he was going to hug me.  We eventually got into the club house to pick up our numbers only to find out that they had not received my entry form or cheque.  No fear the race organiser said, I believe you sent it in and he gave me No.83.  We soon found out that the course was two loops of five miles and that it was extremely flat.
 
After a bit of a warm up we bumped into Kay Masters who had also signed up to do the race.   On the start line we looked around and noticed that there was a lot of rather thin looking runners who were part of the Welsh Athletics Club and that this race was one of the “grand prix” series. So… my race plan was just to get round it today. Dennis wanted to try for 1.30.  The field was about 90 or so runners. There was no gun start or 1, 2, 3 , … it was “oops we are off now”..   

The first mile was very flat and we went through it in a 8.05.   I managed to stay with Dennis for about 2 miles but after Thursday’s hilly race my thighs were screaming out in pain, so I though flaming norah I feel my age today so let’s just finish the course.  It was a road race which more or less was a five mile circuit of the industrial estate.  Dennis was in front of me this time and as long as I had him in my sight my legs managed to go one in front of the other.  At 7 miles I passed a  Thai lady who said “ good running lady”, now I wasn’t  sure whether this elderly lady was really good and up front, or if she was still on the first 4 miles of the first lap ( I think it may have been the latter).   When I got to 8 miles I could not see Dennis at all, there was a girl in the distance behind me and for nearly 2 miles I was running on my own.  There was a cross wind but at around 9 miles the wind got behind me and managed to give me a bit of a push.  It was then that the heavens opened up and it poured to the sounds of black thunder.  

At about 200 yards to go the runner behind me caught up with  me and I only just saw Dennis on the finishing line.  I did 1.37 and Dennis did 1.35 .  Although flat it was a fairly boring course but hey ho it did kill some time on a Saturday afternoon.  Now I am off to the pub tonight for a well  deserved drink.
 
More information on the Wrexham AC website

Liz and Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment