About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 18 May 2013

Race Report: Sandstone Trail Ultra 11/05/2013

Sandstone trail ultra...

Written on behalf of busy mum Heather.




Ok I agreed to do the race report when Heather declared being a mum was a full time job, obviously being a dad isn't, so here you go Heather...

So it's the Sandstone Trail ultra, the 33 miles along the Sandstone trail, or 34 and a bit if you don't know where you're going, but more of that later.
 

The time came to get kitted out and get ready to run, I had agreed with Mat for him to pick me up from my camper which was parked on a little caravan place actually on the trail about 3 miles from the end.

It was to be an early start, in fact very early, first off Mat said he would pick me up at 6am, unfortunately Mat works on some sort of weird clock time and I heard a car pull up at about 5-25 am!!!!! I quickly got my stuff together when my phone beeped with a text to say "I'm outside..."

Heather, Michael, Paul, Jo, Alan and Mat
Once ready I walked outside to find Mat slumped across his steering wheel like a scene from a gangster  movie, his head was flat on the wheel, for a moment it looked like he had been shot down some lonely country lane. But alas , as soon as he heard me , he sprang in to life like dog hearing its food bowl rattled.

We set off to the start which was a community centre in Frodsham, we met our other Strider nut jobs Mik, Jo Bulley, Heather, and Alan Pearson. We all registered before boarding busses at 7am for the 50 minute bus ride to the start of the trail.

For me Heather and Matt this was to be the furthest we had ever ran, a true test of character, training, endurance and most of all, non chaffing preparation. We arrived in the town of Whitchurch and were introduced to the local loos before a short walk to the start of the trail.

Rawhead: 727m the highest point on the trail.
After a few photos and with everyone buzzing, the countdown began and off we trotted. The first few miles took us along a canal and with me needing to pay a visit to the trees I let the others get away. I was never going to run with them anyway as my intention was slow and steady and finish the course. However at approx 7 miles I could see them ahead of me, I therefore put some effort in whistled a few times and caught them up. When I entered a field they had gone again, disappeared and nowhere in sight. I suspected they had upped the tempo and taken off, err... no, they had played a cruel trick on this lonely first time ultra runner, they had hidden and came up behind me, the little tinkers.

The route carried along the trail and I have to say the scenery was spectacular. Although we were coming up against some good challenging hills, most of the trail was well marked and very runnable. At this point we were all running together and I was feeling quite strong and positive. Again a few photos on route followed and through a Forest section we headed. During this section I managed to identify a very dangerous upturned tree root and in my efforts to ensure everyone else's safety decided it would be a good idea to fall over it. Fall I did and very heavy too, Jo shouted "Man down!", and I managed to pick myself up with only my rather large ego battered bruised and whining. i hid the fact that it blasted hurt from everyone and on we went. I had no idea where I was, all I knew was that I was running and that was good enough. Eventually with me having to slow up the others carried on without me.

I continued to the area I sort of knew, something called Gresty waste, there was a huge climb up some steps to cross the main road and hit the Forest of Delamere. At this point I was running with another lady who had done the course last year, we were having a really nice time but again I needed to visit the trees and told her I would catch up. 


At the trig point at Rawhead.
As I carried on through the forest something strange happened. There was no one behind me, no one in front and I was all alone. I saw two guys riding bikes and asked them if I was on the Sandstone trail, they said they didn't know, however a quick look at my map and it was obvious I wasn't, I had missed the turn and would have to run back and rejoin the trail. When I got to the trail a nice lady out walking her dog said "I don't think you wanted to do that diversion did you?" she wasn't wrong, I had added at least 2 miles on to my run.

When I arrived at the next checkpoint, the chap there said to me "you went the wrong way didn't you?"  I asked how he knew and he told me that the chap who had just left the checkpoint told him. He had actually seen me go the wrong way and not bothered to tell me... Thanks mate!!!

Anyhow, that was the last checkpoint, I soon found Nikki and Tara on the trail waiting for me and after a quick kiss and hug, they jumped in to the car to get to the finish whilst I continued along the trail. The last few miles were really tough, much more hilly, but again runnable. All I could do was keep on moving forward, bit by bit, slowly just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Soon I was again looking across at some stunning views and one of these was the town of Frodsham. I was nearly there, I had nearly done it and I was still moving.


Alan cheers on Paul along the (narrow) path to the finish,
As I ran back in to the town up a few alleyways, the residents were clapping and cheering, I soon saw Mik , Mat and Alan who had come to help me get across the line. I turned a corner and that was that, it was over, I had completed it. I took 7 hours 55 , without the detour I would have been about 7-30 for sure which would have made me slightly happier, but how can you not be happy with just completing such a challenge.?

In short this was a great run, not a race, a challenge, many did not finish but all Striders did. The weather was mixed, the company brilliant, the checkpoints marvellous and very friendly. The route was beautiful, the sense of achievement for finishing was clearly an amazing feeling.

Would I do it again?

You bet I would!!!!!!!


For more information visit the website.


Paul N.