About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Torchlight Run - Brereton Heath 16/1/2012

Last night was my first ever torchlight run. As I left my house my wee hubby shouted it was minus 1 degrees and I was mad to even contemplate running in the dark! – “you’ll end up with a cold again”.  So with his words of wisdom ringing in my ears I legged it to the club. As I parked up I saw Jason and Jo, Jason was just getting dropped off, then Michael 


turned up. He told us we were going to Chris Brumby’s place and running from there. Oh flaming hell thinks I, here I am running with the not only 3 fastest runners of the club (well a lot faster than me) but the lads that do ultra miles and race up and down hills for 20 miles. Suddenly hubby’s words were ringing in my ears. 

When we reached Chris’s place just near Congleton, he told us that we would do a couple of laps of country lanes and then run around the woods at Brereton Heath. The only thing we had to watch out for was the “electric fencing and the two bulls” because we could spook them. OMG!!


We set off and the first hundred yards was a steady pace, the farmer had put extra strong silage on his fields and the smell was doing wonders for my sinuses, although freezing I was breathing pretty good.  I was amazed that I was actually keeping up with the three musketeers in front and that I could actually talk too, they must be setting a slower pace so that I could keep up, or maybe it was the thought of the headlines that kept running through my head that was making me go faster. “Tragedy – Female Sandbach Strider flattened by spooked bull”.  As we reached the first style the beam from Jason’s headtorch lit the field up, it was a bit rutted underfoot but other than that the frozen ground was ok to run on.  I began to relax and although it was dark and you could not see any views, the stars were out and looked brilliant.  I even recognised The Bear and The Plough.  "Enough of this concentrate on where you are running" thinks I.  We approached the field – yes the one with the electric fencing, Chris shouted “keep to the hedgerow you don’t watch to get a blast from the fence - Michael shouts – keep your elbows in. I am concentrating on my footing when ahead of me on the left hand side I see the beasts with glowing reflective eyes – yeah gods they looked like the vampire cows in that movie of which I can’t recall the name of. (Might have been Cbeebies). Giggling to myself I run on.  

We leave the field, brilliant – I survived not being chased by the bulls. The lads wait up - Jason with his brilliant light shining leading the way towards the “woods”. We entered the heath, Michael at the back making sure I didn’t trip on the tree routes. (bless him). We do a few laps of the woods and head back, going through the field with the vampire cows and electric fencing, elbows in shouts Michael.  At last, we are onto the final field and with the three musketeers just in front, I suddenly had a vision of the “three wise men being led by the star to the stable”, in this incidence, it was the three musketeers being lead by Jason’s bright light towards Chris’s cottage for a well earned hot drink.

Would I do a torch run again – most definitely. Thanks lads for taking care of me and waiting for me at the styles, gave me a chance to catch up with you all.  Liz x x

No comments:

Post a Comment