About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 23 January 2012

Race Report: Ilford Park Run 21/01/2012

Thanks to the diverse range of park runs and locations hosting these events all across the country I was able to quickly and easily find a park run near me in glorious Essex. The event is hosted in Valentines park in Ilford some 40 mins away from my house in the Essex countryside. Driving through Ilford town I approached the park and was surprised by the green space that unfolded before me, there was a large boating lake, Bandstand and lots of pathways lined with trees. 




After the pre-9am briefing which was significantly shorter than the one I was used to from Hanley, the race begun. Quickly into the lead was Fido the Labrador who was dragging his owner behind him, I mean really dragging him along, the guys back was arched like a Pringle as he attempted to keep up with the dogs early enthusiasm. thankfully though the effects of the pedigree chum soon wore off and the rest of us were free to run the course. The layout was a flat 2 lap course of the park, taking in a bridge crossing over a stream, a loop around the boating lake, looked a bit cold for a dip though in my opinion and then back via the outskirts of the park to the start line.
 
As I was a new comer to the event I sat in the leading pack for the first lap to get my bearing, as we approached the start of the 2nd lap, I took the lead and started to pull ahead, I kept the legs working hard for fear of the 2nd placed runner who looked dangerously like a elite runner out for an easy jog. Thankfully this turned out to be all in my mind, either that or he was having a really easy race as I crossed in !st place, having nearly missed the finish funnel in a time of 19:13.
 
After the race was where the challenge really began as I had left the office on Friday without printing off my park run barcode and after turning my bedroom upside down that evening and finding lots of things I didn’t know I had I was still barcode less. So I decided to run the race anyway, take it nice easy and get registered as an unknown runner, well having finished first there was NO way I was going to remain nameless. So I had a chat with the organiser who with a bit of persuasion was happy to try and find me in the system and allocate the time to my name.
 
As with any parkrun the event was well organised and  friendly, with all the Marshalls giving encouragement all round the course one of whom was particularly useful as he told you your time and current position as you passed him on each lap. Now on to the important stuff, Sadly I was not aware of any Cafes or even greasy spoons in the local area so decided to wait till I got back to my home town. Full English for £3.75 a real bargain I can recommend to anyone and also it really does come without tomatoes if you tell them not to put them on.
 
A great race that really shows the ease of the park runs and the friendly running environment that they are based upon.

For more information, visit the Ilford Parkrun website

Chris C.

No comments:

Post a Comment