About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 28 November 2011

Race Report: Hanley Parkrun 26/11/11

What an Ace Race!

My first 5k… I’d run 1500m competitively at school, and as an adult I’ve run most distances from 10k to Marathons, but never a 5k… then Mik Escolme started banging on about the Hanley Park Run. So after a couple of weekend where I was unable to join in, last Saturday I took the plunge and went along with Liz O’Keefe and Chris Coppenhall to give it a go.

Go! Race start at the inaugural Hanley Parkrun
Arriving at the park, we wandered to the start area and slowly the other runners trickled in and just before 9am the race director gave the pre-race briefing (it is friendly, low-key and very straightforward; and obviously run by volunteers, but in a very good way it must be said). We had a “Three, Two, One – GO!” countdown, and set off on what has to be described as a hilly but short (just over a mile) loop of a very pleasant park, passing a lake, grassy spaces, crossing canals and passing bandstands and flowerbeds, and while it was ‘undulating’ after the ups came the downs and a chance to speed up while also catching my breath.

The cool but dry and slightly breezy morning made ideal running conditions, and I followed a runner from Newcastle AC for most of the race as a pacemaker due to not really having a feel for the pace of a 5K myself. Passing her with about 500m to go on the last uphill section I realised the pace was challenging and hung un for the last run in, to sprint to the finish holding her off (just) to finish 9th in 23:30. A PB! But as it was my first outing at 5K it was always going to be a PB to be fair. What blew me away afterwards when I got the e-mail with the results at just before 3pm was that I was first in my age category! I’ve never got a first place in any race I’ve run as an adult so I’m well pleased.

Almost everyone remained at the finish to cheer home the other runners and everyone seemed to really enjoy the event and its casual, laid-back atmosphere. I really enjoyed it. A gentle jog back to the car to put some warm layers on over the running kit and a wander down to the local café for tea and an excellent oatcake breakfast made the morning complete. So in summary - an excellent, friendly and small event that is local, and easy to access. And it’s free!!!

Well done Parkrun, you’re a winner from my point of view –  so give it a go, I’m sure you’ll find, like me, that it‘s an Ace Race.

The following club members participated this week:

4 Chris COPPENHALL 00:19:41

9 Steve TREWEEKS 00:23:30

15 Christiane BUNTE 00:25:42

21 Elizabeth O'KEEFFE 00:27:54


For more information, click here

Steve Treweeks

No comments:

Post a Comment