About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 19 November 2011

Race Report: Torchlight Run 14/11/2011

Well I could put it off no longer. Having managed to find excuses for the previous two extracurricular Monday night runs, I had finally ran out of reasons not to go. I was in from work on time, it wasn’t raining or windy and I had batteries in my head torch. My main concern was being able to see with just a head torch, as I struggle to walk to the end of my drive in the dark.



Five of us met at the Broughton Arms car park in Rode Heath, myself, Chris B, Mik, Perry and Chris C. I was a bit concerned to find I was the only girl, and a much slower runner than the rest, however we all stayed together and ran at a good pace... Probably more comfortable for some than others!

We started the run by immediately joining the canal towpath. I was pleasantly surprised at how bright it was. It was a clear, cold night, with an almost full moon. The light given from the torches was certainly adequate, particularly with Chris leading, wearing what looked like a search lamp.






The route was pretty level, the only hills being the few canal bridges. The towpath was wide and even, with no unexpected lumps and bumps... nice easy running. We stayed on the towpath for a mile or so in the direction of Church Lawton before crossing a field and entering some woods. Again although no street lighting we managed easily to see where we were going. Chris B managed to successfully navigate us through the woods to Scholar Green where we picked up the Macc canal. Skirting the edge of Kidsgrove we rejoined the towpath back past Church Lawton and to the pub at Rode Heath.

It was a lovely enjoyable six mile run, ended off perfectly with a quick drink in the pub. After all we had used their car park! I will definitely be doing the next one if possible, and I encourage you all to give it a try. It’s great fun.


Jill Young

No comments:

Post a Comment