About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 21 March 2013

Race Report: Rhayader 20m 16/03/2013

I saw this race at the last minute advertised in Runner's World. Described as hilly, I thought it would be  a suitable challenge and good training for my upcoming ultra marathon.





So, I thought a nice weekend away in the camper would go down well, and with the race being on the Saturday I could do the race and enjoy the evening.




So we set off Friday night and having spoken with the organisers they kindly agreed to let me park up in race HQ which was ideal.

The race itself runs around the reservoir of Élan, and through some mountain terrain which I was told was very scenic. So with my pre-race kebab from the night before now nicely settled I went and registered as soon as I woke up on Saturday.



They didn't have much of a sense of humour at registration, they asked if I would be running the 5 or 20 mile race. I told them that I was here for the 20 miler and that because I ran 2.5 miles in January I felt really ready for the 20... Instead of laughing, they promptly told me that they would not let me enter as I would not be fit enough to do 20 miles... At this point I explained to them it was my cockney humour, still not finding it funny, they took my money and gave me a number.



They were expecting 400 but due to some men chasing around after an egg shaped ball for 80 mins they would have been disappointed to see a field of about 200. Again everyone was a club runner looking the part dressed in their club colours. I opted for a t-shirt but then convinced myself that my OMM jacket should come on the adventure despite it being 5 degrees in the town. Nikki said the clouds looked bad, played mum and insisted I wore it..

So the race got underway and basically we started turned left and went up a hill the size of Mow Cop but shorter!!!! At this point I knew I was in for a tough race and I was informed we had been running for 0.7 of a mile!!!! A quick nip through town with the friendly people out having a fag and a beer and cheering us on and we were on our way. Come mile 3 I noticed something very odd. I could see the leader, not as I was in any way in with a chance of winning, but I was looking up a hill that went on for miles and miles, 5 of them to be honest, and with some very steep bits during the incline. Yep we were in the mountains for sure... Then, something strange happened, mums are always right, Nikki played mum, the heavens opened and I was attacked by a deluge of hailstones that actually hurt when they hit me. This went on for about forty minutes before they promptly turned to snow and I began wishing I was in trail shoes despite running on the road, it was so slippery...




On 3 occasions the organisers came around saying it was too dangerous and would I like to be taken back? A resounding no from me, although one or two decided no more and jumped in the 4x4s for a lift back. At this point I was on about mile 8 it was painful, very  much so due to the hills and the weather.

I kept at it and soon mile 10 approached and I was over half way and really feeling quite good. Oh I wish it would of stayed that way. As I ran around the reservoir and mile 15 became 16 I could feel myself struggling. I had no choice to walk a little then run some more. I kept doing so and just kept going forward, my legs soaking wet, my feet soaking wet, my body dry thanks to the OMM but only just. Cold was the order of the day, I was freezing and felt hypothermic. However I kept going and going, until mile 19 arrived, and I could see the town ahead again. Wow I thought I am going to make it I'm actually going to do it.


As the town approached and I started to run through it, it was evident that there were not many behind me. A few but not many... Very soon I turned a corner to see Nikki waiting for me my face beamed a smile and there I was, home... I picked up my t-shirt that made Mik's monopoly run t-shirt look good and headed the short distance to the camper, happy with my days work but freezing cold...

Would I recommend it? Absolutely, a fantastic run in the most beautiful scenery anywhere in the UK

Is it hilly? You bet!!!

Time 3hrs 42

For more information visit the website.

Paul N.