About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 13 August 2012

Race Report: Preston Parkrun 11/08/2012

Well, the time had come. This time there would be no escaping it, I would be doing my first Parkrun. On this occasion my hands were tied. I needed to go to the post office in Lancaster and get an international driving license for my upcoming holiday, and Mik was going that way to run a Parkrun in Preston. So the off shoot was, I could run to Lancaster as we were camping for the Cross Bay Challenge, or I could run the Parkrun and get a lift to Lancaster. No choice really, Parkrun all the way. So I had also an unexpected bit of competition, my son George had opted to run the Parkrun as well. Having watched him the day before knock out a 3 mile 19 minute run on the tread-mill I thought I would be lagging much behind him, but more on that later. 

Paul


So with my new Samsung Galaxy bleeping at me, it was time to get up and get ready. A text from Mik in the tent next to our motorhome confirmed that he was up and ready along with George. Mik then demonstrated how great the Mondeo is at speed racing and before we knew it we were there at Preston.

On this occasion we had another guest with us. It was Mik’s sister whom had only recently taken up running. She had done a couple of Race for life’s but never a Parkrun. She appeared quite worried about finishing last, however she would have nothing to fear. 

We found our way to the park and wow, what a park it was, a really surprisingly nice place. 105 had turned up for this event, a good turnout and a record for the Preston 
Parkrun. 

Before we knew it we were off. George shot off like a train and used none of his experience, simply because he had none. I on the other hand went for the warm up is the first mile. I took off at a 9 minute first mile, not bad considering one really steep hill. Well steep by Cheshire standards. I could see George as I came to the hill for the second time, evidently he had burnt himself out, 15 year olds rarely listen and I could see he was already in trouble ¼ of a way in to the 2nd of the 3 laps. I thought I would just keep going the way I was but coming to the downhill stretch of the second lap with a hundred metres to go I passed him. I then took off from then on, my 3rd lap trying to get the best time I could. Eventually with a rather quick 7 minute 50 last lap I stumbled in at 26.20 and wanted to go and do it again. I immediately thought I could beat that. But all of a sudden I was addicted to park running and 3 mile courses. 

George
George came home shortly after me fearing his father bragging but somehow managed to get first place in his category? How did that work? Well all I could say to him was that at least he done it, and many others his age would still be in bed, so I was dead proud of him. I was more proud of him telling me that he was off to Hanley next week to beat me. However we are going to work on his preparation for then, as he informed me that he had no sleep due to camping and had eaten a sausage roll prior to the run that he could feel coming back up. 

Oh, by the way, I’ve missed a bit? “What happened to Mik?” I here you say, well, I beat him. Yes indeed, he turned up a few minutes later with some story of how he had to run all the way round with his sister. A very relieved Helen had done really well. Mik must have had an off day, as his sister even beat him. 

Mik and Helen

All I would say is if you have not tried a park run, you should do, well worth it. I came 3rd in my age category finishing the race in 42nd out of 105 people.

For more information, visit the Parkrun Preston website.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the mention Paul. If you had told Mik and i 10 yrs ago we would be running together we would both have laughed. Mik been trying to get me running for a while now and 3 months ago i got the bug so was quite pleased with my run on saturday and not coming last i was actually 26th out of 43 ladies and 8th in my age group. really enjoyed maving Mik stroll round with me giving me lots of encouragement. Hope to see you again at the Preston park run see if we can both beat our times. Helen

    ReplyDelete