About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Race Report: Dave Clarke 5 23/08/2012

Tonight I ran my first ever Dave Clark 5 race.  This race is held in memory of Dave Clark who was a founder member of the Trentham Running Club’s committee,  a keen cyclist, avid fan of Grand Prix and Moto GP and my hubby’s mate.  There is a race limit of 250 and tonight there must have been a field of over 190 runners.
Liz shouting – "This one is for John!"

I found out that the race started with a lap of a muddy field, on to a grassy path with some inclines, onto a gravel path and then along the canal, along the back of the Britannia Stadium and then heading back along the path and field to the finish. So armed with this information I decided I needed to try and run eyeballs out!  Liz Clutton was running so I knew she would cream me in the Vet 55 category. Christine Kilkenny creamed us both though.
Liz concentrating on the hill!
The start was a bit pushy with everyone going off fast and then we hit the muddy field, (I was glad I put on my  multi terrain shoes) as some poor lad in front of me lost a shoe, spikes would not have been good on this terrain, soon we were on the grassy hill.  Having done some hill training in Bulgaria and with Mike on Monday night I when for it, got off the hill and onto the path, then along the canal, it was a bit like our Wednesday sessions along the canal, then my old friend came shooting past me, yes, it was NSSRA “G” man.  I kept him in sight but he was strong on the inclines past the stadium. I managed to pass a few people and caught up with “F” man. Soon we were back on the path and heading towards the muddy field.  This felt heavy underfoot but I decided I needed to keep up the momentum if I was to catch the Biddulph runner in front. Once out of the field you turned right along the football pitch and finished on a little bit of hill. This is where I sprinted and ended up just catching the runner in front. My time was not that great at 27.25. 
Liz running Dave Clark 5 race n Thursday 23 – this is the back of the Britannia Stadium leg
I would definitely recommend this short 5K run as it was very pleasant, it is all off road. The goody bag was nice with a lovely commemorative thermo mug which will remind me of Dave very time I have a drink. I just need to get stronger on the hills - so more hill training on a Monday for me.
Only 200 yards to go to the finish
More information can be found at the Trentham Running Club website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment