About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 21 October 2013

Race Report: Wirral Half Marathon 13/10/2013

What ever happened to Sunday morning lie-ins? At this rate I may even make a striders Sunday morning run now that I’m so used to getting up for half marathons.

Birkenhead’s own Brandenburg gate which we ran through.
 Anyway, a dark, blustery and showery morning dawned and I piled both a sleepy Gordon and a surprised Tolli into the car and drove to Birkenhead which is not the most pleasant of places. 


However, the race was due to start in the Park;  a leafy suburb of Birkenhead and much to Tolli’s delight, was full of squirrels. So as I warmed up, Tolli, ran herself ragged chasing the little critters. Think she may have run her own half marathon whilst waiting for mine to start!
 

Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite as sunny as this on Sunday.


Gordon was in support role and was picking me up at the end to then go on to run another 7 miles! When the gun went off, just under 3000 runners ran around the out-skirts of the park and as I was passing a clump of trees, I glimpsed Tolli straining on the lead to join us!

In true Scouse tradition, banter and Liverpudlian humour was rife and the wise cracks were numerous as we ran out of the park and through the back streets towards the Mersey and about 2 miles in, we joined the promenade which would take us up to New Brighton and beyond. 



A driftwood pirate ship momentarily distracted me…fab.
Unfortunately, as soon as we hit the promenade, the head wind hit us. So using one of Gordon’s strategies (he’s a sneaky bugger), I tucked in behind other runners and if they weren’t going at my pace, I joined another group. This strategy was to come in useful throughout the race as the route hugged the coast all the way and no matter which direction we ran, there appeared to be a head-wind?! But runners and spectators alike stayed in good spirits and as the Liver Birds where left behind, New Brighton came into view at about the 6 mile mark where the 10k runners left us and made their way to the finish line that could be clearly seen by us half marathoners, but we were not to meet for another 7 miles.


King’s Parade, New Brighton. We zig-zagged along here 5 times!
As the MC announced the 10k finishers and we could hear the cheering, we continued along the front towards Perch Rock lighthouse.  The wind was getting stronger and the clouds were looking more ominous. Although New Brighton has had and is having a face lift, it wasn’t looking its best on this dull day, but a job had to be done and the crowds were tremendous in their support.


As I approached the 10 mile point, the Cross Bay Challenge came to mind as we went down onto the beach for about half a mile. Passing a Harvester restaurant, memories came flooding back that it used to be an outside swimming pool and where I remembered going with my sister and grand-parents and being absolutely freezing…not much different from today then!


Gordon says I had a bounce in my step and a smile on my face; the best finish ever!
Finally, it was time to turn tail and head back towards Kings Parade and the finish. The wind slapped us in our faces again and the rain came in horizontally. There was not much liverpudlian humour now as we had our heads down against the elements. Once back on Kings Parade, snatches of the MC’s commentary came over the wind and we zig-zagged our way ever closer to the finish line. All this to and froing was slightly disheartening but then it dawned on me that it was good practise for the De Ja Vue marathon, so I embraced it as good training!!

Gordon and Tolli eventually found their way to New Brighton (apparently he got confused with the M53. How does he manage to fly himself to the States?) and were there to cheer me home (again).
As I was using this as a training run for the 3rd Nov, I knew that I wouldn’t get a PB so was happy to come in at 1:57:40; 5th in category on gun time but 3rd on chip time! Gosh if only I had gone another minute or two faster, I would have got 2nd!

With medal, T-shirts, bottle of water and banana in hand, I met up with the gang, dashed off to the car (?!), put on a dry top, donned my camel-back and then all three of us set off for the beach again to cover the extra 7 miles that I had to do to get my 20 miler in.


Not sure why I was grinning so much as we still had another few miles to do!
As always, the Liverpool runs are exceptionally well run, popular and very well supported. The crowds are enthusiastic and humorous and always bring a smile to my face. The route was safe and between mile 2 and 6 lovely along the promenade with Liverpool in all its glory on the other side of the Mersey. The sea defences up at New Brighton are concrete monsters but were rather useful to run behind, hiding from the onshore gale.


Would I run it again…not if it clashes with our run again. I did miss being at our fab 10k!


For more information visit the Wirral half website.

Cheryl 

No comments:

Post a Comment