About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 4 October 2013

Race Report: Macclesfield Half Marathon 29/09/2013

Another weekend, another beautiful day and another great race.   

Macc Harriers always put on a good event with great marshalls and good support and today
was no different.  Just myself and Dave Parr representing Sandbach Striders and after a chilly wait on the track we set off for two laps to start the race.  For me it was one of those mornings where everything is either tight or aching from arms to buttocks, legs and feet so I didn't expect much more than hoping to get under 2 hours which I haven't achieved at Macc before.  I was surprised considering my condition to complete the mile in 7:34 so thought perhaps I wasn't that bad after all.  Pretty soon I got distracted in the less hilly first half of the route trying to stay upwind of a particularly pungent Bolton lad with a very big gob!  

The hills in the second half actually seemed to ease my aches and I felt pretty good going into 8 miles.  There are some pretty long steep climbs and I was particularly worried about the last one at 10 miles but to my surprise I bounced up this taking a few places and passing walkers reminding me of my previous attempt.  I pushed for home and resisted taking a pop at a guy dropping gel wrappers (a particular bugbear of mine) to finish back on the track in a pb time of 1:51:15.  Macc + hills + aches = pb + very happy 

For more information, visit the website.

Lainey T

All photos are courtesy of Bryan Dale www.racephotos.org.uk

1 comment:

  1. Well done Elaine totally agree about the gel wrappers. So all you need for a PB is a slightly smelly and gobby Boltonian ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete