About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 1 August 2013

Race Report: The Wizard 5m 25/07/2013

Well Mik had tried to persuade as many Striders as he could to get to this one, I therefore knew to anticipate a good turnout and being only 17 miles from the club I thought it would be a great turnout. 


So convinced was I that I managed to talk Nikki and Tara in to coming to the race too. 



We arrived at the club at 6pm as arranged to find one solitary vet 55 waiting there, yes, Liz had made it. A quick alarm call to Mik and that was it, I was driving and there were more supporters in the car than what there were Striders running the race, just Liz and I. 

So off we went and for what seem like the whole of the journey I had to listen to Mik yawning and Liz and Nikki talking about posh nail polish and what's involved in getting the stuff on and off. 

Eventually, following a little diversion and a jaw dropping journey past some rather posh property we arrived at the pub called the Wizard. 

Liz and I quickly got registered and we had a quick look around the course and allowed Tara a quick run in the fields. Back at the car park amongst some really fit athletes I managed to quip that I felt I was in with a good chance of winning this race. A few looks of amazement on the faces of said athletes and before long it was off to the start to get ready. A chap gave a talk but to be honest I think I heard the words ok once and that was that.

Soon the whistle went and off we went. I opted to start at the back and pick my victims one by one. We started off on a little loop and I felt really good and headed off at nice pace of 8-20 minutes per mile.

The course took in some stunning scenery around Cheshire and I have to say I was very very impressed by how nice it was. It remained rather warm but not as warm as previous days but warm enough to have you begging for water. The course was marshaled by some very very good enthusiastic marshals. As I progressed through the course we hit a little bit of road before turning across a field and up some hills oh and then some more hills. I really lost it at this point and again had to start walking up one despite everyone else managing a slow jog. I need to work out why I'm struggling with hills so much at the moment as it’s starting to destroy my mojo. 

Before I knew it we were almost finished, along a nice little path and a slight downhill gradient and that was that race finished. I came in at 43.20 which I was disappointed with considering my good early pace; however there were some styles to climb and a few bottlenecks to navigate. 

All in all a good decent trail race that was well marshaled through terrific scenery and a race with a nice friendly club feel. 

Negative was the fact there was no medal t shirt or anything, just a glass of orange squash. I need bling. 

For more information visit the website.

Paul N.

No comments:

Post a Comment