About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 24 August 2013

Race Report: Dave Clarke 5k 22/08/2013

On Thursday 22 August I ran the Dave Clarke 5K (reserve) race. It is a memorial race in memory of my dear friend Dave Clarke who tragically died of a sudden brain tumour three years ago.  


He was a founder member of Trentham Running Club and often joked that if he popped his clogs that the club could name a race after him – Dave Clarke 5.


Dave Clarke - RIP.
As I left work it was sunny but when hubby drove me to the club the weather changed.  With an hour and a half to go before the start of the race I treated myself to a Sports Massage by Dan. I would not say it was bliss but he did sort out the pain in my lower back and it did help my running.

The 5K course was once round a field then out on to a canal path then onto a trail path which took you up a few undulating hills then back to the Cub house. There were a few “W” running this one so I got my eyes in their backs and managed to get passed them.  However, the points don’t count for this race as it’s only a reserve. I did come home in a time of 27.24 and won the Lady Vet 55 category.

I would recommend this 5K particularly as it is an off road race.  You get a mug at the end of it and all proceeds go back into the “Junior section of Trentham Club”.  It was a fitting tribute to Dave, but he would have laughed as he hated trail and/fell running .

For more information visit the website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment