About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Run Report: Torchlight Run 19/11/2012



Ok, so here goes, somehow I got talked in to writing this- My name’s Dougal, and tonight I led the “Torchlight” run. Well, that’s what my human calls it. 


So it goes a bit like this, at about 6-30 I was driven to a remote spot called a Cricket club.
Once there I was joined by some very strange humans. Nearly all of these humans were wearing florescent green type coats and strange lights on their heads. After listening to their constant whining about how they had done this and done that over the weekend, we again jumped in the wheels and were driven to a place called Malkins Bank.  We soon gathered, I understand that there was My Human Jo, Chris Brumby and my mate Andre Scooby (another 4 legged friend) Heather, Mik and some other bloke called Paul.

We soon set off on a run across a field, whence there it was not long before I was to come across some very staring eyed big beasts of Cows. They never bothered me but all I could hear around me was the human people moaning “I hate cows” bla  bla  bla. Anyhow none of the big heifers gave chase and it wasn’t long before we were through that field and across another and in to the sheep pen. Yep that’s right, a field full of sheep. I looked around thinking, yum yum but was encouraged to leave them all alone and head for the kissing gate across the way. Once through this kissing gate I managed to put my lead on to my human and do a bit of road running.

Now previously, Paul had mentioned to my dad that should ever the M6 be closed, we could gather quickly and have a motorway race. Well, mum, in keeping with this idea thought it would be a good idea to check this out by running down the service entrance to the M6 at Sandbach to check this out. However, sadly, the motorway remained open so I led my human and her accomplices on a run up another lane to another few fields. At this point Mik, had to climb a gate, less than 24 hours after running in the Valencia marathon. 

Now, that was something worth watching. Me? I just went through it. Mik moaned and moaned as he climbed it but as soon as he had done that and Paul had cocked his leg we were off again. More muddy field’s right up to my knees and through a few more styles and there we were. Another gate, At this point we all took a step back, laughed and watched Mik struggle to climb a gate in his post marathon leg aching pain. Once he had struggled to cope with that, Paul simply opened the gate and I and he walked through it HA HA.  All of a sudden we were faced with a river, so deep and so long that I thought I could of made a boat. However, Chris Brumby decided to utilize his all mountain climbing skills and climb a bridge to avoid getting wet. Me on the other hand? Well I headed straight through it with all the others. Once on the other side there was even more running, Uphill through some mud and phew we were there, back at the canal. 


At this point we ran along the tow path thingy with Chris and Andre stretching out. I soon realised that this was not going to be a new PB and opted to dive in to the canal for a good old fashioned paddle. After a little coxing I got out and kept running and before we know that was that. Me and Andre got a Boneo, Mik went for a Thai, and the rest went for a shower. I’m stretched out now drying off, after another interesting torchlight run.  I hope you like my photo.

Next week, I’m told we are off on another one, this time we are heading up up and away… they are really good the torchlight runs, I hope we have a few more humans next week.. Till then good bye.

Dougal

No comments:

Post a Comment