About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 2 November 2012

Race Report: Halloween Hellraiser 28/10/2012

Sunday 28 October was a bright but cold day, just right for running across a 9 mile multi-terrain route. 


I met my fellow striders at the club and was pleased to see that they were all wearing similar trail shoes, at least I made the right decision not to run in my nice new shiny pink asiacs. I told Jill I knew exactly where the vagrants club was, so off we set. We got to Gresty Road and turned into the venue, though it was a bit alarming to see everyone playing footie and not a runner in sight. Said Perry “ I don’t remember this from last year” Doh! I’d only taken them to Alexandra FC training ground. I got the correct directions from a very nice man and off we went, eventually 10 minutes later we arrived at the Vagrants.  We gathered the troupes and took our pre race photo, unfortunately we could not find Tom and assumed he was running with his little lad Adam in the fun run.

We all lined up on the start line and I looked around and saw some of the NSRRA ladies I normally run against. There were a few runners  dressed up and some of the skeletons, including our Giles would definitely have frightened the little ones. As the 3, 2, 1, count started the person next to me asked if I had done the race before, “no” I replied and she smiled at me and said “ it’s a tough one”.  John Lawton ran it last year and had recommended that we do it as he said it was great fun.  
 
The weather was a bit drizzly and cold, but then again I’d just got back from Bulgaria at midnight and had left 24 degrees. At least we all got an extra hour in bed.  Soon we came to the first ploughed field, and true to Mike Cutler’s words  it was boggy, some poor lass had lost her shoe and was trying to get it back on as we all went running past her.  My plan was to stick with Paul and aim for a 1.30 finish.  I ran with him and Jill for a good 6 miles and saw Paul in the distance along with Perry and Bob. The route was really good but there was a lot of stiles to climb, which is great if you have long legs, but hell for little 5’ 3 munchins.  

As I approached the church, I had to watch where I was putting my feet as I nearly went on my bum because the stones were a bit slippy. Next thing was the steps leading away from the cemetery, I decided to run down the side of them.  (I’m not daft eh).   At the last mile there were yet more steps, these were slightly narrower and very slippy so I took my time on them.  I recognised some of the fields we ran through as my old training ground when I was a South Cheshire Harrier but forgot about the stiles.   

The course was well marshalled and they all shouted encouragement even though they must have been freezing.  Up another set of stairs,  over a motor way bridge and the end was in sight. I looked at my watch and I was over 1.33. It was great running in to the shouts from my fellow striders.   I finished in 1.34 and got first Lady Vet 55. It was very muddy and as I didn’t know what to expect I was really pleased to have finished it in a reasonable time for the conditions of the day.  All the striders did really good times and little Adam was pleased with himself as he got a prize for the best dressed crocodile.  


Would I do this very muddy multi-terrain course again – you bet I would. 

For more information visit the website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment