About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 11 November 2012

Race Report: Flying Fox 10m 04/11/2012

On  Sunday as I drove to Standon for the start of my 10 mile race, I was extremely pleased with myself because I remembered the way and for a change did not get lost.  

There was also a very nice 4x4 in front of me and the driver looked like a runner. 

True to form he turned into the car park. The day was bright, sunny but cold so then I had to decide whether to wear a vest or a long top. The latter won. I have done this race a few times but can never remember the course, which was a good thing as I forgot about the hills. The gun went off at 11.00am and I calculated that I should be finished in about an hour and 35 minutes.

As I lined up I spotted “F” man in front of me. That was it, for 4 miles we played cat and mouse, on mile 5 just before another hill he introduced himself to me as Mike Jones of Stafford Harriers. It was nice to put a name to the “letter”. He said he’d catch me later and as he seemed stronger on the hills I thought he would, but, I managed to put some distance between us on this race. To say it was hilly would be an understatement, but there are some good downhills.  We did have to go through some very deep puddles (twice) as there was no way you could get round them. So it was grit your teeth and get your feet very wet.  It was muddy in places and some kind person had put notices out warning us about the “mud”.  

As I approached 9 miles the top of my thighs were burning , I put this down to the Hellraiser last week. As I was running I was thinking of my fellow striders doing the Déjà vu and 10 miles is nothing compared to that. I saw I was looking at over 1.30 so tried to pick up my pace a little. I got in at 1.31.33 which on this course for me was a PB as I had previously done it in 1.33. “F” man came in a few minutes after me and shook my hand. I would recommend this race as it is a good road race albeit a bit hilly. Only one more race to do on the NSRRA calendar on 24 November and as it is a Saturday I can have a drink that night. Woo hoo!

For more information visit the Stone MM website.

Liz O’Keeffe

No comments:

Post a Comment