About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 4 May 2012

Race Report: South Cheshire 20 29/04/2012

Two different perspectives on this race, first of all one from Paul and then one from Liz...

Sometimes you train hard and prepare yourself for a race. The race that I had prepared hard for this time was the South Cheshire 20. 20 miles of frequently hilly country roads around mainly Staffordshire with a detour in to Cheshire. 


I had successfully tempted Liz O'Keeffe to run this race with me, promising her that I would run all the way with her and it would be a doddle for someone with her talent. I know she wasn’t keen as she felt untrained, but Liz just loves a race and a deal was struck. We would meet at the venue start on the Sunday morning whereby Giles would also turn up and treat my mammoth task as little more than a training run. 

So come Sunday morning I awoke from bed and pulled the curtains back to see what I can only describe as inclement weather. The rain was lashing down from all directions, my trees were bent sideways and even my Newfoundland dog didn’t look keen for some early morning exercise. The great thing about a running club is that because I had committed I had to go, any other sane person would have returned to bed, but seeing as I had made a promise to Liz and Giles I thought I had better attend. 

On arrival at the Shavington sports hall, Liz had managed to get a collection box out to help the cause of keeping the search going for our running club friend John Lawton. Many strangers not only put in but came and asked us for updates and information, which was really nice. 

As the race started I noted Giles and some other crazies were wearing nothing more than vests. It must have been a windchill factor of -5 and the rain was like your own home shower but without the warm water. I opted for full body cover which I thought was actually a wise choice. The race got underway and we settled in to a nice pace. Hitting about 9 min miles and just over it seemed really comfortable as Liz and I made ourselves known to the other runners in a little group of about 5. One of these made me feel quite comfortable as he was a lifeboat man. I thought he might come in handy if the rain continues as it was doing. 


As we approached about mile 9, Liz informed us all that there was going to be a bit of a hill. She wasn’t wrong, it wasn’t a little hill, it was huge and just went on forever. At one point having people catch me up that were walking didn’t bode well and I actually walked about 20 metres of it. I am pleased to say that was the only walk I did in the whole 20 miles. Just as I approached the top of the hill there was a young lad being pushed by his dad on a scooter. I suggested to the little boy that I would swap his scooter for my jelly babies but he refused, leaving me to run down the hill. 

At this point our little group began to spread out a little, the hills just kept coming and going and then coming again. This made the run quite tough, especially when we had been avoiding puddles and being battered by strong winds. 

Although I live locally it was with great pleasure that we eventually reached the White Lion at Barthomley. Not pleasure because I could nip in and have a swift whiskey, but great pleasure because I knew where I was. At this point I think there was about 6-8 miles left to run, I was now wet through to the skin, (so much for Ron Hill breathable waterproof tops), and had nipples like a breast feeding mother with octuplets. 


As the last 6 miles came upon us, I started to weaken; I felt like my legs were going a bit but still had plenty in them to finish the race. A few people started to come past me at this point and I could think to myself, further training needed. There was no problem with the breathing, I just really really ached. 

However, as I reached mile 18 I actually thought to myself that I could actually finish this race without walking any of it. That would be a mammoth achievement for me, the hip was hurting with a bit of IT band trouble but generally I felt good enough to keep it going. As I came across the road to see Shavington sports centre I began to really feel the pressure. There was little left in the tank for a sprint finish and if I would have had to run a further 6 miles, I may have struggled but I could at last see the sports hall. I crossed the grass to come home in 3 hour 17 mins. I picked up a couple of biscuits, a drink and a t-shirt before turning around to see a very very happy Liz come over the line a minute later. Giles on the other hand had gone off home to get dried and I cannot blame him with that weather. 

The marshalls in this race were superb giving plenty of encouragement. We saw no spectators at all due to the weather conditions, the only person we did see was Liz’s husband driving around the course to offer support, at one point he was heard to shout “you must be mad”, on this occasion I think I could agree with him.

For more information visit the South Cheshire Harriers website.

Paul N 


At 7.30am as I sat eating my porridge looking out the window at the hailstones bouncing off the patio I prayed the weather would get better. As I had committed myself to do the race with my running buddy Paul Nicholls to raise funds for the “Find John Lawton Appeal” there was no way I was going to pull out. As usual, I wondered what to wear but I am so glad I decided on long sleeves and ¾ lycra shorts and hat and gloves. I forgot how undulating the course was and also how tough it was.

Liz approaching the finish line
As we lined up ready for the off the heavens opened up and the temperature dropped. The officiator mentioned that I was collecting donations for John and also told everyone to pick up a yellow ribbon.  For the first 10 miles Paul and I kept up a good pace of under 9 minutes, so we thought we could aim for 3 hours 20.  We ended up running with Chris Walsh from South Cheshire Harriers, and two others from Prestatyn.  Every so often one person would take the lead and we’d try and keep up with each other. We were going strong until we came to the dreaded “snakes pass” at the 9 mile marker.  I heard Paul groan, but I did warn him about it!!  At this point the wind picked up and as I got to the top of the hill the hailstones came down, I felt as if I was having a micro dermal facial. I have never felt so cold in all my life, I had lost the feeling in my hands and was so glad I had gloves on albeit extremely wet ones. 

Giles on the home straight

Thoughts of John entered my head and if he could do a mountain marathon I could put up with some horrible weather.  As I pushed on, the weather got worse and in the end I gave up avoiding running through puddles.  With the water up to my ankles, I tried to pick up my pace. Paul and I played cat and mouse for a while and Chris had gone off into to the distance. I think he was racing ahead to get the free mars bars and jelly babies.  As I saw the 18th mile marker I gave myself a good talking to, looked at my watch and tried to make my heavy cold legs move faster.  Along the route the marshals cheered us and I thanked everyone as they had to stand around in the cold, at least we were moving.  At certain points along the route my hubby was there cheering on his Trentham ladies squad and his bedraggled wife.  

As I approached the 19th mile marker I caught up with Paul who decided to load up on jelly babies and burst into song (singing in the rain), I think it was all those Es in the jelly babies that affected him.  At last, half a mile to go and believe it or not the rain stopped. My hubby shouted at me to go for it and I came in at 3 hours 18 minutes, just a minute after Paul who was waiting for me on the finishing line.  Thanks buddy we did it.  Also a big thank you to all the runners who donated £50 to John’s appeal.  When I got home I found out I won first lady vet 55 prize but then again I think I was the only 55 year old running!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment