About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 14 May 2015

Race Report: Manchester & London Marathons

When I found out that the 2015 London Marathon fell exactly 10 years after I ran my last marathon and a year since I joined Sandbach Striders, it seemed like the perfect race to reacquaint myself with marathon running.  



Somewhat predictably I was not successful in the ballot and therefore entered the Manchester Marathon which was a week earlier. In early December the charity based at the hospital trust where I work announced that they had a golden bond place for the London Marathon. I rather stupidly suggested that if they gave me the place I would run both the Manchester and London to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis unit. I found out in the week before Christmas (on my birthday) that they had given me the place.  I was initially delighted although as they got closer I started to get more apprehensive.  As it had been so long since I had trained for a marathon I downloaded a 16 week training plan with a target time of three and a half hours.  I found this plan really useful and apart from a 10 day break due to a pulled calf muscle, I managed to stick pretty closely to it.


By the time Manchester came around I was itching to get going and I knew that I was running well.  The race started and finished in the shadow of Old Trafford which meant there were plenty of opportunities for pre-race photographs. 

There was a really good atmosphere around the race headquarters and the combination of the flat course and the perfect weather meant that there was lots of talk of PB’s from the other runners.  The race started in front of a large crowd and I quickly managed to get into a good rhythm.  This was helped by following one of the pacers which ensured I didn’t get carried away early on. The number of runners also helped, there were 12,000 in total which meant that it was busy all the way round but I never felt like I was having to swerve around others.  The support was especially good around Timperley and Altrincham where I was delighted to see my own support team.

My plan was to run the first 20 miles at 8 minute pace and then hang on for the final six miles. I managed to keep this pace going until mile 23 but then started to tire.  Despite this my pace didn’t suffer too much and I was delighted to finish in 3 hrs 30min and 36sec.         

The build-up to the London Marathon meant that it felt like a more special event.  I guess that this was due to it being a longer journey but also the process of having to go to the ExCeL Arena on the Saturday to collect my race number.  I was staying with my wife’s family in Tottenham and so I had an early start to get across London to the Red Start at Greenwich.  In the week between the marathons I didn’t do much other than rest and eat. Despite this I wasn’t sure what state my body would be in so I hadn’t really made any plans for the race.  By the time I got to the start I felt really good and therefore set off at the same 8 minute pace that I had in Manchester.  

 In contrast to Manchester, the volume of participants meant that it felt like I was constantly weaving around other runners and discarded drinks bottles.  This meant it was difficult to get into a good rhythm.  The support and noise all the way round the course was truly amazing but couldn’t mask the fact that I was starting to struggle by around 18 miles.  The realisation that I still had 8 miles to go was daunting to say the least but spurred on by the crowds and the thought of all the money that I had been sponsored helped me to drag myself home in 3hrs 42min 43sec.  After collecting my medal and being repatriated with my bag in record time it was great to meet up with 3 other Striders who had finished and their supporters.  The can of Stella given to me by Jo Bulley was possibly the nicest tasting beer I have ever had! And certainly better than the alcohol-free pint presented to me after finishing the Manchester race!

In summary the Manchester Marathon is a fantastic event and definitely a PB course.  The London Marathon is more difficult to run but the atmosphere makes it a truly amazing event.

Fran

Note:

Thanks to his recent marathon efforts, Fran has currently raised over £6000 to buy exercise equipment for the children and adults attending the North West Midlands Cystic Fibrosis Centre. 

It isn't too late to donate to this worthwhile cause. His Justgiving page can be found at https://www.justgiving.com/Francis-Gilchrist/

For more information about the work Fran and the Cystic Fibrosis undertakes, read this excellent article from the Stoke Sentinel.