About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Race Report: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll marathon 25/05/2014

A good turn out from the Striders at Liverpool.  

Steve, Cheryl and Elaine before the race.
Cheryl, Perry, Karen and Mik started alongside me with Steve up front somewhere.  

I'm sure there were more Striders out there today.  I ran the first 5 or so with Cheryl then we parted company.  An uneventful first half followed but seeing my family at 11 miles was a real treat.  At this point I have to mention that I was getting a little disappointed with the event.  The promised 'bands at every mile' were largely absent and there was not a massive amount of support en route, however those who were out were fantastic at keeping us going, even if some were still in dressing gowns and slippers!  

Up to 18 miles all was going well with a brilliant route through parks and past historic landmarks. Great support in Chinatown and surrounding Goodison Park and Anfield.  At 18 miles I got severe stomach cramps and had to visit a portaloo, I survived this experience but found that my legs had decided job done and seized up.  I struggled on for another 6 miles but was walking, yes WALKING at around 24 miles (I have to admit to this because I was passed by Mik) when from out of nowhere appeared Arlene.  "Are you ok?" she asked, "umph" I replied, "are you injured?" she persisted, "no", "just done in?" "umph!" "well come on then" and she grabbed my hand and ran with me.  "I can't make it to the end but I'll get you going again"  I did manage to get her name and say thank you to her before she once again vanished in a puff of smoke (I might have made that bit up!). So I ran to the finish, no way was I going to walk again when Arlene, who was not a runner by the way had helped me.  She was clearly my guardian angel, I can only hope that she pops up again every time I hit the wall!  I was therefore running when I once again passed my smiley family at the end - somewhere just under 4hr 30.  

The Cobra beer garden where every runner could enjoy a free pint after the race.
Well done to all Striders!

For more information, visit the website.

Elaine