About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 17 February 2013

Race Report: Southport Mad Dog 10k 10/02/2013

The Southport Mad Dog 10K #3 - Judgement Day...



So the third Mad Dog 10 rolls around and together with Liz O'Keeffe and Karen Lovatt I bowl up ready to once again take on the worst that Southport can throw at us. We arrive in good time and are delighted to find that conditions are far from perfect - 4 degrees C, heavy drizzle turning to light rain and a strong breeze. We also discovered that due to some local traffic issues the race start had been delayed by 30 minutes.

The race has swelled in numbers since that first event 3 years ago, and this year close to 2,500 'Mad Dogs' are to be unleashed on an unsuspecting Southport. The course has been changed slightly, giving a better start and a greatly improved finish with a straight run of around 400 metres to the finish line.

The event set-up has also been changed, with the original sports hall being used for massage, bag storage and 'shop' area, and the T-shirt collection now being moved to the building opposite.

The thing about this event that ALWAYS strikes me is how happy everyone is to be there - it is a real 'feel-good' event; and the marshals and volunteers are so happy and positive that it makes it a pleasure to attend (even in near zero degrees rain). We all use the 'facilities', collect our race t-shirts (well up to the usual standard), and meet up with Dave Parr and his family before making our way to the start, where we wait... shivering... And then with the customary Mad Dog howls and accompanied by the sound of the Baha Men's 'Who Let The Dogs Out?' blasting from the PA speakers we are off up the road to the left hand turn that takes us off along the coastal road heading south toward the pier.


We battle through the cold, rain and wind to first turn at the roundabout near Southport's Splashworld water centre where we all take a left, run a few hundred yards and left again to head back toward the school and the eventual finish line. My race started slow with the sheer volume of runners around me ensuring I couldn't take off in my usual jackrabbit fashion, and I gradually managed to open my stride and get up to a good strong pace running about 7:20 per mile, and passing runners all the way which was a huge psychological boost helping me to maintain my pace throughout the race. As a turned the last corner and saw the finish line ahead, I kept my pace steady, not wanting to push too hard too soon, and with about 80 metres to go accelerated to cross the finish line. I stopped my Garmin at 43:31, which (if confirmed) takes over 2 minutes off my personal best! I quickly turned around and threaded my way back past the marshals on alongside the home straight to support the other Striders coming in, and was rewarded with the sight of Tom Mayell sprinting for home for a shiny new PB. Shortly after him Dave Parr ran through and Liz O'Keeffe followed soon after. I met up with Liz and we started watching for Karen, who managed to slip through unnoticed (also for a PB) and called us from the HQ area to find out where we were.

All in all another great day, with a fab technical race t-shirt (in the inimitable Mad Dog style), a very full goody bag and an ace medal from a well organised and happy race.

Next time I'd just like it about 15 degrees warmer, much dryer and without the wind please? Oh, and... Who let the dogs out???

For more information visit the website.

Steve

And one from Liz...

After two years of listening to Steve Tweeks telling me that the Magdog 10K was a really superb race to do, I decided in January to enter it. When I woke up on Sunday morning I didn’t know what to expect. The weatherman said that there would be some snow and rain and that it would be cold (oh no), so, I thought it might be cancelled.  Steve sent an email informing me otherwise. “ Wrap up warm it will be 3 degrees”. With my running gear sorted I met up with Steve, Karen and Steve’s son Jake.  The weather was overcast and then it turned to rain and it was a bit chilly.  When we got there I was amazed to see so many people turn up for a 10K. True to form the race was well organised and we managed to pick up our t-shirts before the start. Steve then informed us that the race was going to be delayed by half an hour due to road works and the fact that those at the park and ride were still stuck there.   11.30 came and soon I was on the starting line when I got tapped on the shoulder by Dave, another strider.  We both said we wanted to do under 55 and Dave said he’d chase me (ha ha). I thought I saw Tom Mayell in the hall before the race but as none of the others saw him I reckoned he must have a doppelganger.

The race itself was pretty straight forward, out along the sea front into the strong cross winds and the biting cold. Steven last “if anyone gets lost on this course I’ll be really amazed”.  I was so glad I had my ¾ lycras on and knee socks.  There was a really good steele band en route and they were putting their heart and souls into the music and jumping around (probably to keep warm).  I got to 3K and was bang on target for my timings so tried to push a bit, got to just before the 5K marker when I heard Elvis belting out, there was this little bloke with a very bad wig striding up and down the middle of the road serenading us all.   Soon we turned into the last 5K on the promenade, just past some road signs, which I nearly fell over, and then on the main straight home.  Just got to the 8K mark when Dave caught up with me, we pulled each other on until I got to the last “K” I could see the finishing funnel but the wind was strong and the cold seemed to be worse.  I got through the chip board on 54.45, came in 11th out of 46 in my age group and overall position of 1028 out of 1747 and yip I got under the 55.  I was awarded with a goodie bag and a bunch of bananas.   Steve met me and told me Tom was just behind him (so I was not imagining it).  We all seemed to do well in the race and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.  Great atmosphere, nice t-short and medal, lovely marshals and good fun.  I’m definitely doing it next year. Woof Woof.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment