About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 10 February 2013

Marshalling at the Congleton Parkrun

Today (Saturday 2nd February)  I volunteered to marshal at Astbury Mere since I was going to race the Alsager 5 on Sunday. I got there at 8.30am but first I had to meet a young girl who won a Kindle White prize from a competition I had organised at the College.  



Just as I was about to click the camera up popped Terry Coppenhall’s face with a big cheesy grin.    I got that out of the way and made my way to the Andy, the Race Organiser. He asked  me, Bob and Jill all from Sandbach Striders to go out on the course and marshal. 

It was really cold and there was a biting wind. I got to stand by the stairs .  After about 10 minutes I heard the count down and they were off.  

I found myself doing some jumping jacks and zumba routines to keep warm. My poor fingers had frozen solid, I could not feel them anymore, despite wearing thick gloves. Some of the back runners said they were cold so I told them to think of a hot chocolate at the end of the race and to keep moving. I so wanted a hot chocolate.  

It was a lovely sunny day, there were lots of dogs being walked around the mere, one decided to go in for a swim and chase a few ducks, he obviously did not feel the cold!!!! I did manage to get a few actions shots of some of the Striders though.
 
Liz

1 comment:

  1. I was a grateful recipient of the 'hot chocolate pep-talk' near the end! Brilliant support as always by the marshals at Congleton, particularly on such a cold day.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete