About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 4 October 2012

Pre-Race Report: Chester Marathon 2012

There have been lot of post-race reports posted on the website but nobody yet has written a pre-race report - I thought I’d change that trend & commit myself to a target in the hope that this may provide the additional motivation I often require to make myself run well!

Last year the club had 14 entrants - this year it's just me!
This weekend I am running the 2nd Chester Marathon & my aim is quite simple - to set a PB & also beat the club record currently held by Alan Pearson.  The club record currently stands at 03:13:17 (set at last years Chester Marathon) which means running quicker than 07:22min/mile pace.

Training Plan:
The training plan I have been following (when fit & healthy & not working) is as below:

Monday: Hill/Interval Training (alternate weeks)
Tuesday: 5-a-side Football
Wednesday: Club Run – usually 3-5mile Tempo run
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Long Run (longest 20 miles)
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: General Run – 3-5miles

I’ve not stuck religiously to this & have unfortunately had to miss a couple of the long runs & the hill/interval sessions have also been quite easy to wimp out of but having run a PB for 5k, 5mile & 10k  distances already this year I’ve definitely seem some improvements in performance from including some faster paced running in my training plan.

Pre-Race Preparations:

On the evening before race day I will have the traditional bowl of pasta combined with a tomato based sauce & chicken (for protein).  Race-Day breakfast will be a small bowl of porridge approx. 2-2.5 hours before the event followed by a banana about 45mins before the start.  On the day I’ll drink ~250ml when I wake up (to replenish fluid lost overnight) followed by a further ~250ml at breakfast & then just sips of water prior to the race start…hopefully this allows me to start hydrated but does not require a time consuming toilet stop halfway round!

During the Race:

I plan to take 4 gels to consume at the 6, 12, 18 & 22 miles points as well as taking on a small amount of water (couple of mouthfuls) at every drink stop.

Race Pacing:

Having run the course last year I know that the 2nd half is hillier than the 1st half so I’m not planning on running a negative split instead I would like to get to halfway in about 1:34 which will allow me to run the 2nd half up to 5 minutes slower than the 1st half & still get a PB.  This isn’t a final plan yet & may be revised but I’m expecting to struggle for pace towards the end so would like to have built up a buffer in the early stages.

I’ll report back next week on how I get on against my target & if I don’t succeed here I’ll just have to try again at the Déjà Vu Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment