About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 28 October 2012

Race Report: Preston Guild Marathon 28/10/2012



No ordinary Marathon run???


I am not normally obsessive – but the last few days I have been checking and re-checking
the weather forecast for Preston for today’s Preston Guild Marathon, and it made no difference whatsoever – heavy rain remained the forecast. I HATE running in heavy rain, but so be it…

Mik and I arrived at Preston at just after 8am and made our way to the Holiday Inn hotel to meet up with Jason who had stayed over prior to the race. We dropped off our kit and all prepared for the race, and then set out for the 5 minute walk to the start area.

We lined up in the relatively uncrowded starting pens and waited the last 10 minutes until… ‘Crack’ – the sound of a starters pistol signalled the start of the race. Mik, despite having run the Snowdon Marathon only yesterday, set off ahead of Jason and me, and the race was underway… in the dry!

We made our way out of the city centre, but just after the 1 mile mark Jason’s calf started to give him real problems, which led to him pulling up and retiring shortly afterwards – the only silver lining of which was he was able to return to the hotel to eat his own bodyweight from the breakfast buffet.

I carried on, still enjoying the dry conditions, as we went through the outskirts of Preston centre and out into the countryside, where the views improved considerably, and feeling good I slowly made my way through the field of runners. Everything was fine until around the 9 mile mark, when the rain finally started to fall. Being warm  and ‘in the groove’, I carried on and was surprised to find myself alongside Mik at the 13 mile marker. Mik was obviously feeling the miles in his legs from the previous days marathon and encouraged me to strike on and stay with my current pace. We ran together for about a mile and I gradually pulled ahead. Rain was falling heavily now, and coupled with the strong breeze and cool temperatures I was starting to chill, with my legs starting to tense and one calf starting to tighten. This continued as we ran on through the country lanes, though little villages and back toward the finish. Still feeling strong I was keeping up a good pace through to 23 miles but finally the tightening in my calf and legs forced me to have to walk for a short while. His led to getting colder and meant I ran/walked the remainder of the race through to the finish.

The sight of Jason stood on a corner near the finish raised my spirits, as did the sight of my waterproof jacket he had with him, and I pushed hard for the finish, crossing the line in a shiny new Personal best time of 3 hours 46 minutes and 26 seconds, so I was well chuffed. I was, however, chilled to the bone, exhausted and soaked through. I collected my medal and goody bag and walked round to meet up with Jason, and shivering put my waterproof on.

Mik passed us shortly afterwards to go on to cross the line in just over 3 hours and 52 minutes.

My overriding impression of the event was that it was very well marshalled with lots of very cheerful volunteers cheering the runners on despite the cold and very wet conditions, and while the course wasn’t what you could call hilly, some of the inclines proved to be pretty challenging in the last 5 miles of the course. Nice medal, technical T-shirt and plentiful water and gels on the route made it a good first Marathon staged by Preston – mind you they have plenty of time to work on any improvements before the next one – it will be in 2032!

So, as I said after I finished the race today – any marathon you can say you finished, with a PB on a day that started with 3 in a bed is always going to be a good day…

Oh, the 3 in a bed? That’s an entirely different type of report, and not for this write-up…

Many thanks to Mik Escolme and Jason Bulley for making just another Marathon a much more enjoyable day,

For more information visit the race website.

Steve Treweeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment