About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 10 October 2011

Race Report: Chester Marathon 2011 #2

Perry, Martin, Paul, Alan, Chris and Gordon (knelt)
Well, the (dreaded) day finally arrived, marathon day, my first. I stood on the start line very apprehensive surrounded by my other club members, some with numerous marathons under their belts. I know I’ve done the training but I keep hearing that nagging voice in my head giving me doubts but true to form I get advice and encouragement from the others to allay my fears. 

The race was going quite well and I was pleasantly surprised to pass the halfway mark quicker than expected but at about mile eighteen I suffered a total loss of energy that
lasted until about mile twenty three which was a struggle. I then received stern words from a fellow runner to “get your ar** in gear and get moving” that did the trick, many thanks to him whoever he was.

The last few miles were brilliant, my running was back on track and the support from the crowd was fantastic. Coming under the bridge onto the racecourse I immediately heard the cheers from waiting club members which was lovely. The final dash to the finish and that was my first marathon completed.

I would like to thank all the club members for the training runs, advice and encouragement over the past months, I would not have been able to complete this without it.

Will I do another marathon? Ask me in a few days but…..yes, almost certainly.

For more information, visit www.chestermarathon.co.uk

Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment