About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 12 March 2015

Race Report: Stafford Half-marathon 08/03/2015


The timing of the Stafford 20 Race fitted perfectly with my training regime for the Manchester and London Marathons and as the entry fee was only £10 it seemed like an absolute bargain.


I therefore signed up early and the race number and information sheet was posted out to me in plenty of time. The race centre was Stafford University and there was a really good atmosphere when I arrived.  As I already had my race number the only thing I had to queue for was my race memento which was a mug.  Prior to the race, I had been a bit worried about my calf and when I dropped off my bag I was delighted to see fellow Strider Liz O’Keefe providing a sports massage service in aid of Children with Cancer.  After a massage I was all set to face the race.

I had a look at the weather forecast a few days prior to the race which suggested that the dark clouds and light showers would quickly clear and we would be running under blue skies.  Given this forecast I was not worried when we started the race in light drizzle.   As we did the initial 1.5 laps of the University grounds I remember thinking that it was actually perfect conditions to run a fast time.  On leaving the University the course consisted of three laps.  The first was 8 miles and the second and third were shorter (6 miles). The whole route was on roads which were still open to traffic but were very well marshalled.  

The first three miles was a steady climb, although this was not brutal it was reassuring to know that on the second and third laps we would only have to run half way up it before we turned off. The rain got steadily heavier through the first lap (so much for the forecast!) but I was feeling good and completed it in around 63 minutes.  As I ran up the hill at the start of the second lap the rain was really heavy so that my running kit was plastered to me and my shoes started to get water logged.  The rain persisted and a stream started to form down the inside of the road.  Runners therefore had the choice of splashing through the stream or running towards the middle of the road and play chicken with the cars. I chose the splashing option!  Despite the rain I continued to feel good and managed to average just over 8 minute miles for the second lap.  Just as I approached the University I was lapped by the winner of the race who finished in a truly great time of 1hr 46min.

As I started the third lap the wind picked up and I started to get cold.  The next three miles were a bit of a struggle with the low point being losing the sensation in my fingers and not being able to tear the top of my energy pouch. Thankfully a very helpful marshal did the honours and I got my energy boost for the final few miles.  As I trudged on I found it strangely therapeutic to hurl abuse at the cars that refused to slow down as they passed,  sending a tsunami of water over me.  Mercifully the rain started to ease and the only thing that slowed me down in the final few miles were my tired legs.  I dragged myself home in 2hr 43min 16sec, given the conditions I was very pleased with this time.  After a hot cup of tea and another massage from Liz I was already planning next year’s attempt.

In summary the Stafford 20 is a really good race that was made tough this year due to inclement weather.  It is very reasonably priced, the course was good and the marshals were brilliant.  I would definitely recommend it to other Striders although I hope that in future years that the sun shines.

For more information visit the Stafford 20 website.

Fran