About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 23 November 2014

Race Report: Goathland Trail Marathon 08/11/2014


Some of us enjoy reading race reports; in fact some of us positively love them. If you have done a race don’t feel put off and don’t think others aren’t interested as with the comments I get from mine I can assure you they are well read and received, so get your pens out. 


In the meantime here’s another one of mine from the Paul’s “super toughest I’ve ever done” marathon regime. This one was Goathland marathon in the North Yorkshire Moors. Now here’s a few little things to say before I start. Prior to me running any of the Hardmoors events, my knowledge of Yorkshire was from watching the Heartbeat TV series and therefore it was not until I actually saw the place Fylingdales in real life that I knew it existed. In fact it was not until I once saw a coach trip to Goathland advertised some 14 years ago that I think I realised Heartbeat wasn’t filmed in a studio but actually in the Yorkshire moors (well some of it). 
1the waterfall 

Being as I have positively fallen in love with North Yorkshire Nikki and I decided to make a few days of this event by utilising the camper and thus giving a little more relaxation time before and after the race. We arrived in Yorkshire on the Thursday and had some pre race carb loading in the fish and chip shops of Whitby on the Friday daytime. Already I was becoming concerned, the weather was positively awful and this would only mean one thing and that was mud for the race. On the Friday night we found somewhere to stay near to the start and went for a wonder around the village of Goathland (Aidensfield to us weirdo’s). Nikki and I opted for a nice drink in the Aidensfield arms and I may add mine was the non alcoholic variety. Whilst sat there I started to converse with some other runners from Sheffield. It was soon apparent that they had done some races and recognised our club. They continued to ask if I knew a bloke from our area called cameraman.  No I replied and they kept talking, they went on to say that they witnessed several races where Cameraman had been racing with another man to get to 100 marathons.   At this point it clicked, cameraman was of course Jason and the other man was our chairman Mik. The guys asked who won the race and were rather disappointed when I told them that it wasn’t a race....

Anyhow I digress, back to the toughest ever Marathon, I registered on the Saturday morning nice and early and retired back to my camper for a rest and to walk the dog. I soon found our other striders whom were at the event Alan Wilcox and Mat Simister doing the half. A rather thorough race briefing ensured and I made sure that that I had all the equipment required for what was sure to be a very wet windy and misty marathon. I have learned over the years regarding kit and how important it is. Having ran this marathon before I could remember what a lonely testing unforgiving place the moors can be even more so in terrible weather. 
Sample of weather conditions
Race director Jon Steele gave the shout and we were off. The opening gambits of this marathon are spectacular. At this time the weather was still calm and dry as we began the initial downhill stretch out of the picturesque village. Soon in true Hardmoors fashion we were off the road and well in to the trails. These trails ran alongside a river and super waterfall before heading back up towards the moors. As soon as I started to hit the moors it was quite obvious that today was going to take some doing. The moors were really boggy and very muddy and we were only 2 miles in.  As I approached the turn off for the half marathon a few of the very fast half marathon runners had caught me up despite the ½ hour head start they had given me. Not embarrassed by this at all as I was too busy enjoying the scenery and doing what I like best, running the trails, I wished everyone of them that overtook good luck. Very soon I was off hill climbing and getting further and further away from civilisation other than the odd runner dotted about. As the race progressed the bad weather arrived and the rain came in without any mercy. I was now in the moors seemingly miles away from anywhere in the pouring driving rain and running through bog and mud. At one point whilst following a lady she simply disappeared up to her waste in a boggy watery puddle. I fished her out and she said thank you and on we went. It was a day to be looking after each other as the weather continued to get worse and worse. 
Mat in action in the half
Despite the weather being so bad I was really really enjoying myself. The more the weather threw at me, the more I threw it back. I contemplated putting my waterproof trousers on as my legs were red raw and the stinging rain on my face and eyes let me know I was definitely still alive. 
This is where we keep aliens
Following a few big climbs and passing through a couple of checkpoints I now had company to run with too. A young lady and I began talking and before we knew it we were going to get each other through this marathon and do it together. On a few occasions we pulled each other along and before too long we were running behind my favourite bit of the race. We were right behind fylingdales, now I don’t know what they do there and have been told its everything from dissecting aliens to shooting nuclear weapons, what I do know is I was so close to it I could feel the space ships getting ready to take off!!!.  

Coming off the trail
Sadly, following this wonderful part of the course I was on a track which seemed to go on forever and ever, uphill downhill but never flat and one of those whereby you just keep plodding on. Soon though the fun was about to begin. Myself and my new best friend were at the top of a hill looking down at the checkpoint about 3 miles away. However, the run down to the checkpoint would mean a trudge through bog, fell, river and rocks. With rain lashing down accompanied by a head wind we turned this from a nightmare in to a wonderful picture of trail running at its best. Off we went flat out down the hill through all that Hardmoors had to offer and for the first time in the race we were passing people with ease, one after another was succumbing to our shear genius running skills and I was shouting out how great we were as we went for it. Through the river which needed jumping and obviously I never made it and on to the marshals at the checkpoint. With some coke inside we were off again on the last leg. Now this was a little of a pain in the proverbial because it was now uphill and the worse thing was I could see exactly where we were going but was not actually getting there.... This was the only point in the race where I felt like crying and giving up and going home, but alas, in true running community style my new best friend kept me going all the way to the top of the hill and the last marshal. 
Early on with clean socks and a smiling face
From the stones at the top where the marshals awaited in a tent freezing cold and wet through we headed for home with approximately 3 miles left. Again this time all downhill and despite it being dark and only 3 pm we went for it again singing and dancing all the way to the point where you can see the wonderful village appear again. This time no mistake except for a massive slip which left me on my ass and slide down a part of the hill to the road and the short run back to the finish point. Upon walking in we were met by the wonderful camaraderie that is found with these types of events and bingo we were home, the sad part of the day was that it was over and in true hardmoors style it measured in at 27.9 miles...Them Yorkshire people obviously don’t realise a marathon is actually 26.2 miles but I would of paid extra for the additional fun. Surely the toughest marathon i’ve ever done, but my favourite of all 36 marathons I’ve now clocked up.

Typical river crossing
What I liked—
Superb organisation, great checkpoints, super friendly Marshalls and organisers a fantastic if not really testing course. 

What I disliked- 
The distance to get to the moors
A punter dropping a gel wrapper (may of been accidental and my running buddy picked it up) 

For more information visit the website.

Paul N.