About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Race Report: Wincle Trout Run 02/06/2012

I first heard about the Wincle Trout Run in February from a member of Congleton Harriers and the thought of it made me smile – I just liked the idea of getting a trout at the end of it.

On the way to the race my car struggled to get up some of the hills and it crossed my
mind how I was going to get on!

The run itself forms part of the Wincle Summer Fete, which I recommend if you feel like turning back time.  The fete was made up of Maypole dancing; a sheepdog and duck demonstration and a Fun Dog Show with included categories of ‘Waggiest tail’ and ‘Best sausage catcher’! There was also a range of stalls including a coconut shy, tombola and plate smashing and this was all taking place whilst a jazz band played – I told you it was old school! 


The race started at 2.45pm so luckily for me the day was quite cool and cloudy – I struggle to run if it’s too hot.

The race is described by the organisers as being ‘a quite demanding 9km fell run with 1,000ft of climb’ and I’d say this was pretty accurate.

Not long after the start there is a steep downhill, which I found quite unnerving - I was convinced I was going to slip on the tarmac and have an expensive trip to the dentist but, thankfully, I didn’t.  The race then takes you through Danebridge Fishery and beyond into cross-country territory.  The river crossing was good fun and had the added bonus of cleaning my cross-country trainers, which I’d been meaning to sort out for ages – ever the multi-tasker!

There was a mixture of terrain throughout the race from grass to rocks to paths covered in tree roots and, just as there were steep up-hills, there were down-hills to match but I got away with only slipping once.

The steep hill not long before the finish was tough but as it wasn’t very long, it was over quickly.

It took my just under an hour to complete the course, which I’m pleased with, as there was quite a lot of queuing to go over some of the stiles (particularly towards the start of the race) and to cross the river.  With this in mind, I would only recommend this race to runners who are patient and enjoy fell running for its own sake or those who simply like trout!  If you get annoyed at the thought of having to wait in line to get over a wall or being unable to overtake on a narrow path this race would probably cause you more anguish than pleasure.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and felt great once I’d finished – fresh air and hills can have that effect on me. 

And yes, I know I could have gone to a supermarket and bought a trout but where’s the fun in that?

More information on Wincle and the trout run can be found here.

Jo






No comments:

Post a Comment